Dutt's six yrs of prison.

Is there any breaking event? Recent and very hot topic, discuss them here, post your opinions, views and know other’s opinion too.

Dutt's six yrs of prison.

Postby Subhash on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:29 pm

On his day of reckoning, actor Sanjay Dutt got an emotional send-off from his family.

When he walked into court, it was to close the chapter on the 1993 blasts trial, one of the longest in Indian history.

And it would also end the suspense: Would Sanjay who has been convicted of possessing weapons given to him by the underworld in 1993, be sent to jail? Or would the judge accept Sanjay's plea to be let off on good behaviour?

The judge who clearly has a sense of history had ensured that the answers won't be long coming.

It was the first time Special Judge P D Kode had allowed cell phones inside the court.

And the roughly two and a half hours that unfolded from here on was relayed out SMS by SMS live on national television.

At first, when the hearing began the news emerging seemed positive for Sanjay.

Rusi Mulla, one of those who helped him dispose the weapons was let off under the Probation of Offenders Act, which allows the accused to be be let off for good behaviour.

But when it was Sanjay's turn, the Judge had much stronger words.

The Judge began by noting a part of Sanjay's confession, where Sanjay said he had been introduced to Dawood in a film party in Dubai.

The Judge then told Sanjay that not only did he commit an offence, but by making someone else like Nulwala destroy the weapon, he made him an offender as well.

In 1992 he acquired a pistol, then in 1993 he got an AK 56. He committed offences under compulsive circumstances, showing scant respect for the law.

Hence, there was no probation granted. Instead, there was six-years in jail for Sanjay Dutt.

A stunned Sanjay asked the court for time to surrender. ''I have spent more time in jail than I have with my family. Please have faith. My sister is pregnant. I honestly thought I would get the benefit of probation. I have to wind up a few things,'' he told the judge.

But Judge Kode rejected Dutt's plea. Their exchange could almost be described as a conversation between friends.

Dutt: I honestly thought I would get the benefit of probation. I have to wind up a few things.

Judge Kode: Don't get upset. I have got a duty to do. This is not the final court.

Dutt: You are like family to us.

Judge Kode:This is a momentary thing. You can appeal in a higher court.

Judge Kode: Don't get perturbed by this order.

Dutt: I am very tired.

Judge Kode: You have a long way to go in your career. You are the number one in your field. Don't lose faith in yourself.

Sanjay's lawyers say they will move the Supreme Court for bail immediately. But that will take time.

''My client was prepared for this judgement. Either he could have got a probation or been sentenced. He wasn't shocked. He has accepted the verdict with a heavy heart. Sanjay Dutt will exercise his option and he will appeal at a higher court.

Judge has given no weightage on Sanjay Dutt's celebrity status that was people's expectation,'' said Satish Manshinde, Sanjay Dutt's lawyer.

For the moment, one of India's most loved film stars will find himself back in a temporary home he would rather have forgotten: the Arthur Road prison.

Kode in focus

Apart from Sanjay Dutt, the other man who has been the big focus during this long trial has been Judge Kode himself.

He reportedly did not miss a single day of work till June this year, when he slipped and fractured his arm. He also became the only judge to get an insurance cover of Rs 25 lakh in view of the sensitivity of the case.

He also enjoys Z-category security cover.

Source: ndtv.com
"Friends4ever" Administrator & Designer

Subhash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to News, Current events & Hot topics